The Adventures of Rambo & Squeak: Mushrooms, Gnats, & Inspriration

Yesterday, I wanted to hike, but my son, Sharpie Boy, who is Autistic and has CP as a result of an infant stroke, was having none of it.  Nothing is more miserable than hiking with someone who hates it, so I didn't force him to go.

Instead, he wanted to go to Taco Bell.  The kid clearly has a stomach made of steel.

I get very depressed when I can't get outside.  The weather has been horrible, so it was the first nice day to get out, and I was stuck at a Taco Bell. But, this is the life of a parent with a child with special needs.  He appreciated getting to choose our activity, and 3 burritos later, he was all smiles.


So, instead, I went hiking today.

Alone.

This is actually my favorite way to hike.  I like to camp with others, but I prefer to hike alone. I can go at my own pace, stop when I want, take a million pictures when I want, and I am not holding anyone up or going too fast.

I did a section in New Jersey that I have done about 10 times as a trail angel delivering water and Jerky and extended it so it would be the length of my longest planned hiking day with Rambo.  I wanted to look at the trail from Rambo's perspective.  This is slightly hard because I was in New Jersey, and he won't step one foot into the state because of our various laws and taxes.  But I wanted to get an overall sense of what the miles felt like.

I run a hiking club for new and returning hikers over 40 years old, but the hikes are always less than 3 miles with no elevation gain or loss.  The hope is to get people passionate about hiking and backpacking.  Rambo can handle more than that, but I didn't want to kill him with a 15 mile hike whilst wearing that huge pack of his.

Despite my constant heckling, I do, actually, want him to enjoy himself.  I am hoping he finds in the woods what I find there: peace, patience, inspiration, and motivation.  He used to hunt a lot when he was younger, so I know he loves the woods, but it has been a long time since he has been out, and if he can reclaim that peace which comes from nature, it is the greatest gift a sister can give to her brother.

The thing that I noticed most that I either never noticed any other time or was particularly annoying today were the gnats.  They were flying in my eyes (despite sunglasses) and my mouth (not the protein I was hoping for).  This probably won't be a problem in March, but it definitely is something I want to address for my next outing.

I did try to look around at things that Rambo would find interesting.  It's really hard to say what would inspire him.  I mean its rocky and steep at points, so you kind of just have to pay attention to where you step.  I only saw one chippy.  There were no snakes or bears.  There was one raptor at the fire tower.  So, I vlogged a mushroom for him, lol.


The things I find special in nature may not be the same for him.  I often listen to music while I hike and then, when I know I really need to pay attention, I shut off the music and listen to the forest.  I stop at any chance to view a cool rock formation or overview (or vista).  If I see a cool tree, I have to stop and photograph it.  I move aside for hikers.  I don't worry about the miles; they just peel away.

I do a lot of thinking, praying, and talking to God out on the trail when I am not singing along (badly) to whatever's playing in my ears.  I settle issues in my head, and this gives me energy to live my day-to-day life in the grind of adulthood. I don't know that this will be the same for Rambo. 

At the end of our trip, I want him to want to go back (with or without me)  I am pretty sure he will never section hike or thru hike with me (or by himself), but, still, I want him to remember what we learned as kids...the best way to find yourself is to remove yourself from the noise of reality.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Rambo & Squeak: Pick me up a Tomahawk

Law in the Court of Public Opinion: Mumkey Jones V YouTube