Gear for New Hikers: The Ground Rules

Manasquan Reservoir, Manasquan, NJ
Since I've started a Meetup Group for folks over 40 who either want to start hiking or get back to hiking, I get a ton of questions about hiking.  I am grateful that they feel they can ask me because we've all met those know-it-all hikers that can't be bothered by our silly questions.  So, for those of you new to hiking or just getting back to hiking, here are my quick "ground rules."  I am not a hiking expert by any stretch, but these are some of the rules that have made my hikes happy.

Plan Plan Plan (but also plan flexibility)

Before you head to the hills, print out a map, laminate it if you can, and store it in a plastic bag.  Tell people where you are going and what trails you will be using.  Have an emergency plan.  Think about your clothing, your food, water, and how you will practice Leave No Trace (this is a fancy way of saying taking your used toilet paper home with you).  Have some back up plans in case the weather gets grumpy or you twist your ankle.

Don't be THAT Girl (or Guy)

Attitude is everything on the trail.  I've met so so so many nice people, and I have met some seriously stuck up arrogant jerks.  Choose which kind of person you are going to be on the trail.  On the AT, you will get a nickname (mine is Squeak...has been for 25 years now). Don't let the your secret name become "assclown." Be kind to each other, and be nice to new people, struggling people, and people different from you.  If you can help someone in need, you should. If you can't, try to find someone who can.  Never leave an injured person alone on a trail unless your own life is at risk and/or you are headed to get help.  Cultivate an attitude that is genuine.

But for today's post, let's talk about our outfits.

Love Love LOVE your feet.

It doesn't matter if you are going on a two hour hike or a 10 day hike, you are going to be walking on your feet to get where you are going, so take some time and treat them right.  Your shoes are THE most important part of your outfit.  Seriously.

Boots or Trail Shoes?

This is a personal preference and takes time and testing. People will swear by both. If you don't have a crap ton of cash, this can stop you right in your tracks.  But, don't let it.  Invest in one pair of each, but, and I am a techy girl at heart and love online shopping in my undies, listen to this piece of advice...GO TO THE STORE and TRY THEM ON!

  • Go at night AFTER you've spent all day walking around the mall or your house.  Your feet are bigger at night than in the AM, so you totally will find a better shoe or boot when your feet are their fattest.  My favorite hiking supplier is REI, and it is totally worth it to pay the 20 bucks to be a member if you have some spare cash.  They will let you try stuff on all day long, and they have a great staff to help you.
  • Remember that you should always wear socks when hiking and you will sometimes wear layered socks.  I will talk about socks in a jiffy, but when you are trying your shoes on, take your socks with you.  I wear both a liner sock and woolen sock, so I need a half size bigger shoe than what I wear to work.
  • Think about your ankles and what kind of support you will need on the hike you have planned.  For day hikes, I usually wear Merrell MOAB hiking shoes unless I know I will be dealing with a lot of rocks.  For relatively flat terrain, I don't need as much ankle support.   On longer hikes or hikes with lots-o-rocks, I wear the Merrell MOAB mid hiking boots.  I previously (for 18 blessed years) wore a pair of Keen mid hikers that I bought on sale at Eastern Mountain Sports.  They lasted a long time, but remember that this was when I was raising two babies and not moving much.

Just-in-Camp Shoes

When you make camp at night, you will want to take off your boots or shoes and your socks (they get sweaty and wet or damp and gross, and remember...the goal is happy feet!).  I tote around a cheap pair of knock off Crocs.  I never hike in them, but at camp, they protect my feet and let them breathe.  Other pals wear sandals or Berks, and that is fine, too.  I just like to protect my toes from rocks :p

All About Socks

Socks and underpants are not discussed enough when it comes to hiking.  You probably figure any ole sock'll do, but the reality is that you should be as choosey with your socks as you are with your shoes.  Again, there are some camps on this topic, but for long hikes, I wear a thin pair of cheap dress socks (white and not cotton) under Darn Tough Merino wools socks.  The thin socks will dry faster than the Merino wool socks.  For shorter hikes, I sometimes skip the thin layer.  It really depends on the weather and if I will be home that same night to do some wash.

Ditch the Cotton & Layer Like a Cake

Something I learned early in my career as a hiker, skip the cotton.  It never ever dries.  When you are sweating like crazy, your sweat will not pull away from you.  It stays with you.  The smell stays with you.  Cotton is not your friend.  Invest in a few quality hiking clothes and remember, unless you pee your pants on the trail (hey, I am an old lady that likes to laugh a lot...could happen any day now), you will actually wear your clothes a few times on overnight trips.  So, no need to have a full change of clothes every day.  I've been known to sleep in my clothes if the weather is bitter cold at night...just remember to change the important stuff (underpants, socks, bra).

The other thing I learned early on was to layer like a cake.  You can always take layers off, but you can't invent layers when you are cold.  For day hikes, I don't put much fuss into my clothing, but I pay attention to the weather, and I always carry a poncho.  However, for longer trips, you need to plan.  If you love hiking in Spring or Autumn, you have to prepare for everything.  This is my layered cake method, but do what works best for you and the weather and terrain.
  • Support the Sisters.  As a girl generously endowed, I must be extra kind to the sisters.  They need support, and I don't want them getting soaked with sweat.  You know what kind of bras work best for you, but steer clear of cotton and underwire.  The Fiona Sports Bra comes in lots of sizes (even for us big girls!) but can be a tad expensive.  Invest in one or two and only wear them hiking and camping (listen, we don't wear prom gowns to work...you've bought single use clothes before ;p).
  • On top of your bra, wear a tank top of some kind that isn't made of cotton. Look for a polyester blend that wicks (pulls) sweat away from your body.  REI has really great tops but they are a bit pricey.  Walmart will do just fine if you look at the label.  Because this is a layer, make sure it fits nicely.  As a woman who likes to wear baggy clothing, this is something hard for me to do, but your tank is serving as a layer here.  
  • Tee Shirt, hiking shirt, whatever...this third layer can be whatever you want, but again, try to get blends and not cotton.  In cooler weather, I tend toward the a long sleeved polyester/spandex blend shirt.  In warmer weather, I tend toward short sleeves.
  • In colder weather, you will want to invest in something long sleeved to go over the first cake layers.  Some folks do a fleece pullover or flannel something or a vest.  This is trial and error for what works for you.  I tend to do a flannel shirt.  I like flannel.  Then a hoodie.  Then if it is really cold, an insulated jacket.  I don't hike much in the winter, so I don't have good advice on coats.  I am hoping to go snowshoeing this year, so I will tell you want I learn.
  • Gloves and hand warmers are your friends.  But, seriously, invest in GOOD gloves that will keep your fingers warm AND will wrap around your trekking poles.

Panties and Pants

Panties are a fun topic to write about.  The first rule is to wear them.  If you are a dude, do NOT go free ballin...you will regret it. Remember that cotton is the enemy here, so go for a nice blend.  I don't wear lace in real life and sure as heck am not gonna wear it on the trail, but REI has some nice panty selections.  Walmart does, too.  Thongs are gross in general, in my very humble and old lady opinion, but if you are of the thong wearing variety, leave them at home.  Your bum needs a happy layer of something, and no one behind you wants to see you pick your ass for 14 miles.  Normal regular panties are great for hiking.  I tend to love the higher cut style, but granny panties are fine, too.  Just remember that golden no-cotton rule.

Pants are a whollllllllle thing to think about.  Many folks think jeans are just fine...but what are jeans usually made of??? Hmmmm? Evil Cotton! Don't wear jeans. I wear two different styles of pants, and they did require a small financial investment, but are totally worth it...  I have Columbia Luminary Leggings and Kuhl Crush hiking pants.  I tend to wear the leggings when it is warmer out.  I've not yet tried the "shants" movement (convertible pants) but that is because I never hike in shorts.  For rain, I wear the REI brand of rain pants.

Long Underwear is a lovely thing, but if you layer right you may not need it on top, but you will definitely need it on the bottom.  Invest in a non-cotton pair of pants like the REI silk long underwear.  They are fabulous.

Hats, Scarves and Sunglasses

I have huge curly hair, so I'm not much of a hat wearer.  I also don't hike much in the winter.  So, I have no good advice on hats, but I am looking to find one that fits over all this hair and protects my eyes.  I wear glasses normally and always have shades on when hiking.  Occasionally, in Autumn, I've needed a scarf.  Just remember the golden rule...Cotton is NOT your friend.

The Bottom Line

How you dress will be determined by where you are going and how long you will be there.  If you are backpacking over a few days, you will need to think about the weight of your pack.  I tend to bring two full changes of clothes and then extra panties, socks, and bras.  In cooler weather, I will pack in extra long underwear and long sleeved underliner shirts.

The Cash Cow

Hiking, like every other hobby in the world, can get expensive.  If you are strapped for cash, try asking for what you need on Freecycle.org.  Over the years, I've found trekking poles, tents, and even a kayak just by asking.  But, remember that it is a cycle of helping people, so offer things up that you don't need. Also, thrift stores can be helpful for the layers you will need in cooler weather.  Shoes should never be used.  If you have money to invest in only one thing, put that money on your feet.

Do you have questions?  If you need an expert, definitely ask the folks at REI...they have always been great.  You can also ask me in the comments below.  I am not an expert, but I can at least guide you to one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Rambo & Squeak: Mushrooms, Gnats, & Inspriration

The Adventures of Rambo & Squeak: Pick me up a Tomahawk

Law in the Court of Public Opinion: Mumkey Jones V YouTube